
Welcome to St. John’s
United Church
St. John’s overlooks the beautiful LaHave River. It was originally a Methodist church built in 1873. We are a small, but dedicated congregation of 21 members who enjoy our bi-weekly services and have joined with Trinity and First South for special services such as Christmas candlelight service and Easter celebrations. Our faithful members come from as far away as Bridgewater and several communities along the river to make up a strong and welcoming church family. We take pride in the upkeep of our church.
St. John’s has a very active UCW, which includes some non-United Church women, who work hard and enjoy their monthly meetings with worship, fellowship and outreach.
Our History
Some of the earliest records found concerning the birth of St. John’s United Church are connected with Lunenburg. Lunenburg saw the arrival of George Orth, a German school teacher who preached in both German and English. He was successful in turning many people toward Methodism not just in Lunenburg but also in the neighboring communities of Ritcey’s Cove and Middle LaHave. The number of Methodists increased so that by 1873 a special meeting was held in Middle LaHave (chaired by Rev. Gaetz) and plans were laid for the building of a church.
In 1879 Ritcey’s Cove (Riverport in 1904) was made head of a separate circuit of which Middle LaHave was a part. Also in that circuit were the areas of LaHave Ferry, Rose Bay, Feltzen South, Lower and Upper Kingsburg, and Middle South (Bayport). Reverend Arthur Hockin became its first pastor. Though he only stayed two years the congregation was able, in that short time, to pay off the church’s debt and purchase an organ.
In 1925 the church in Middle LaHave became part of the newly formed United Church of Canada and was called “The Middle LaHave United Church”. Within three years, on February 14, 1928, the congregation selected a new name: “St. John’s”.
Through the years there have been many changes but the one obvious thing that has not changed has been the strong love and dedication that the people of St. John’s have for their Lord through the ministry of the church.
